Interesting Facts about Cows
Random and interesting facts about cows
At first glance, cows might seem to be simple animals, but they’re not! Cows are fascinating animals. For instance did you know that cows can smell something up to 6 miles away, or that cows can produce 125 lbs. of saliva in one day. Here’s a list of interesting facts:
- Cows are social animals, and they naturally form large herds. And like people, they will make friends and bond to some herd members, while avoiding others
- Cows are red-green colorblind. In a bullfight, its the waving of the cape that attracts the bull not the red color
- A cow’s heart beats between 60 and 70 beats per minute
- Cows can hear lower and higher frequencies better than humans.
- An average dairy cow weighs about 1,200 pounds.
- A cows normal body temperature is 101.5°F.
- The average cow chews at least 50 times per minute.
- The typical cow stands up and sits down about 14 times a day.
- An average cow has more than 40,000 jaw movements in a day.
- Cows actually do not bite grass; instead they curl their tongue around it.
- Cows have almost total 360-degree panoramic vision.
- Cows have a single stomach, but four different digestive compartments.
- Cows are pregnant for 9 months just like people
- A dairy cow can produce 125 lbs. of saliva a day
- Cows spend 8 hours per day eating, 8 hours chewing her cud (regurgitated, partially digested food), and 8 hours sleeping
- You can lead a cow upstairs, but not downstairs. Cows knees can’t bend properly to walk downstairs.
- Cows can’t vomit
- The average cow drinks 30 to 50 gallons of water each day
- The average cow produces 70 lbs. of milk. That’s 8 gallons per day!
- Cows only have teeth on the bottom
- Cows have a great sense of smell. They can smell something up to 6 miles away
- Dairy cows are economic job creating machines! 1 dairy cow creates 4 full time jobs in the local community
- A Holstein’s spots are like a fingerprint. No two cows have exactly the same pattern of black and white spots. They are all different
Let me Know!
Which facts did you find the most interesting or surprising? Let me know in the comments below
Other posts you might Like!